Korean Government Scholarship Program for International Students for an Undergraduate Course
The objective of the Korean Government Scholarship Program for an Undergraduate Course is to provide international students with the opportunity to conduct advanced studies at higher educational institutions in Korea in order to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between the countries.
The number of scholarships awarded is 150.
Undergraduate degree courses for four years after successfully completing a one-year Korean Language Training. University transferring is not allowed (e.g. Beginning from the 3rd year is not allowed.)
Fields of Study
4-year undergraduate courses which are provided by the universities designated by NIIED
*Not applicable: International studies where classes are conducted in English, medicine, dentistry, or other fields the study period of which exceeds 4 years (e.g. architecture)
Prospective applicant must meet the following qualification criteria:
(1) Must be a citizen of the country to which scholarships are offered, which is also applied to his/her parents.
*Applicant must not be a holder of Korean citizenship.
(2) Should be under 25 years of age as of April 1
(3) Have an adequate health, both physically and mentally.
(4) Have finished or be scheduled to finish formal education of elementary, middle, high school as of April 1
(5) Possess above 80% (out of 100%) in a grade point average (G.P.A.) of the whole school years of the high school attended or within top 10% among graduates in the same year.
(6) Not at any time have received a Korean government scholarship for his/her undergraduate study before.
(7) Not have enrolled in an undergraduate course in Korea before.
(8) Preferential selection for applicants who are good at Korean or English.
Only students from countries below are eligible for the program:
Afghanistan, Angola, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Colombia, Combodia, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana & Togo, Guatemala, Hungary, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kenya & Uganda, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco & Mauritania, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia (Vladivostok), Russia (Moscow), Russia (Saint Petersburg), Russia (Sakhalinsk), Senegal & Guinea Bissau, Singapore, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan (Bishkek), Uzbekistan (Toshkent), Venezuela, Vietnam (Hanoi), Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh), Yeman
• Airplane ticket or airfare: The grantees will receive an airplane ticket or be paid an economy class airfare of the shortest route between their country and Korea when they come to Korea, and, thereafter, when they leave Korea after completion of their study.
• Monthly Allowance: 800,000 won per month
• Tuitions: The full tuition is exempted by NIIED and the entrance fee for the first semester by the host university.
• Settlement Allowance: 200,000 won upon arrival
• Repatriation Allowance: 100,000 won upon completion of studies
• Korean Language Training Expenses: The full costs up to 1 year (NIIED pays directly to the language training institution)
• Medical Insurance: The grantees will be provided with health insurance for major accidents and illnesses during their scholarship period.
Information has been redacted. Please go to the official website for up-to-date information on deadlines, eligibility, scholarship benefits, terms and conditions, selection, and application requirements.